Thank you, Uncle Sam
It's Saturday... after a long week... and nothing's quite so nice as seeing in your online bank statement that Uncle Sam has come good on his refund. Nevermind that he made some money off the interest while he had your money, but indeed, it was a nice surprise.
So like a good girl, I put 2/3 of it down to pay off my credit card debt and took 1/3 shopping. The Ladies Market in Mongkok is known for its deals (thanks much to the Deedys for supplying the name of the town to Mom!) and TST - I can't pronounce the city - is known for its tailors. I head to Mongkok first (pics below) and work my way back to TST, which is closer to HK.
I don't think I've been called "Missy" ever in my life - except here. Over and Over. "Missy, you want handbag?," one vendor says as she points to a book that I've seen in almost every shop... lots of trinkets, but otherwise not much to buy here if you're looking for something unique.
For that you go get a handmade suit tailored... I went to Sam's Tailor. Check out the clientele at http://www.samstailor.com/gallery/ourgallery.html These people were great. I sorted through lots of magazines and picked exactly what I wanted - pockets, buttons, collars, cuffs - and exactly the fabric I wanted. And for half of what I paid off on my credit card, I've got a three piece suit (jacket, skirt, trousers) in cashmere and silk pants (yes, in RED) on the way. Next weekend I go back in and fit the suit and then I can come back a bit later to pick up the finished items. I'll post pics of the final items. Can you say POWER SUIT?!?
Thanks, Uncle Sam. You inspired me to come home and finally do my State Taxes!
So like a good girl, I put 2/3 of it down to pay off my credit card debt and took 1/3 shopping. The Ladies Market in Mongkok is known for its deals (thanks much to the Deedys for supplying the name of the town to Mom!) and TST - I can't pronounce the city - is known for its tailors. I head to Mongkok first (pics below) and work my way back to TST, which is closer to HK.
I don't think I've been called "Missy" ever in my life - except here. Over and Over. "Missy, you want handbag?," one vendor says as she points to a book that I've seen in almost every shop... lots of trinkets, but otherwise not much to buy here if you're looking for something unique.
For that you go get a handmade suit tailored... I went to Sam's Tailor. Check out the clientele at http://www.samstailor.com/gallery/ourgallery.html These people were great. I sorted through lots of magazines and picked exactly what I wanted - pockets, buttons, collars, cuffs - and exactly the fabric I wanted. And for half of what I paid off on my credit card, I've got a three piece suit (jacket, skirt, trousers) in cashmere and silk pants (yes, in RED) on the way. Next weekend I go back in and fit the suit and then I can come back a bit later to pick up the finished items. I'll post pics of the final items. Can you say POWER SUIT?!?
Thanks, Uncle Sam. You inspired me to come home and finally do my State Taxes!

1 Comments:
Heya! Good to hear from ya! I won't claim native, but I will claim hella fun...
Post a Comment
<< Home