Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Alone on a Tropical Island...

... not really!

I highly recommend to anyone taking some time to yourself on a tropical island far far away (a recommendation that was given to me by one of the most grounded and intelligent people I know)...

Waking up around 7am, I went running on the beaches and read books over breakfast every morning. The afternoons brought on mini-explorations of the beach and writing until I got hungry and headed to read some more over a light lunch. As the afternoon sun bore down, I'd take cover under a tent where hour-long Thai massages were the equivalent of USD$6.06. Maybe after an afternoon nap, I'd awaken back up to do some writing on the computer before heading off to watch the beach start to glow with oil lamps as the sun set (pic below).

After writing during dinner, I'd end up chatting with the locals: Bee, a 31 year old musician/taxi driver/chill guy who taught me a Thai Checkers and Neep; Bear, a 37 year old motorcycle rider/ taxi driver (everyone drives taxis or works at a bar on this island) whose raspy voice and experiences in LA made easy conversation; Kasri, a 40 year old Phuket native who had moved to Koh Samui to get away from how touristy his hometown had become; Julie (pic below) who spoke very little English, but tried very hard to find the right words.

But most of the time was spent to myself... time well spent, that I wish I had more of sometimes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home