New Beginnings
Off to a new start… and what a start it is… finished work at Disney and on my first day of vacation went to Tai Po with Andrew Brothers. Tai Po is up in the new territories near mainland China and renting a bicycle is the way to see the outskirts of town. So we rented 16 speeds and wandered around the extensive bike paths that go along the main highways. In true nsew style, we went the wrong way on almost every turn before finding the path less taken, which headed out to the countryside. Just as we started to get pretty far out I decided to try and take a curb. Instead the curb took me and I smashed into the concrete. A few hours later back in Hong Kong with a bloody lip I leave the local hospital with confirmation that I’ve cracked my left radius bone. Swollen lower arm and searing pain radiating through my arm every time I move it mark the beginning of my vacation! Bring it on I say!
In a few days I’m off to Koh Samui Thailand – maybe my original plan of working on my computer will be as busted as my arm considering that I’m typing with one hand right now. And maybe that’s exactly what I needed to have happen. No doubt, looking back, breaking a few vertebrae in San Francisco was one of the best things that ever could have happened to me… nothing like forced introspection to change your life… and I have plenty of things to think about.
In a few days I’m off to Koh Samui Thailand – maybe my original plan of working on my computer will be as busted as my arm considering that I’m typing with one hand right now. And maybe that’s exactly what I needed to have happen. No doubt, looking back, breaking a few vertebrae in San Francisco was one of the best things that ever could have happened to me… nothing like forced introspection to change your life… and I have plenty of things to think about.

2 Comments:
OH dear..... I have a friend here in the states you should meet. He's managed to fracture vertebrae 3 times!! He's currently recovering from a dislocated shoulder and sprained index finger as well. You two are perfect together.
I'm sorry about the broken arm, but i'm glad that you have some downtime to think and travel. Wishing you all the best, and a SAFE remainder of your vacation.
I didn't end up with my arm in a cast since the break is on the nub of the bone - a stable fracture that should only take 6 weeks or so to be back to normal with.
I did get some Tom Kai Gai (Thai chicken soup!) on Koh Samui, though!
Post a Comment
<< Home