Saturday, June 18, 2005

The BIG BUDDHA

I had a profound and insightful post written describing my journey to the Big Buddha... but I think the Buddha is watching me, and that he is quite upset with me for some reason. Because just as I was ready to post, my machine went black. Now, my laptop has a tendency to do that - the aftermath of a virus. But here's the thing, right... as soon as I had reached the Big Buddha last Sunday, my camera went dead. No battery juice. There was no "battery low" signal even. Just "hey, I'm not taking pictures here" ... Buddha are you here? Creeeeeeeeepy.

The bus ride from Tung Chung is 45-minutes of white-knuckle weaving through the hills of Lantau Island... on the top level of a two-story bus, I heard my entire half of the bus gasp when we came within inches of smashing into each other. The views from the top deck are very cool otherwise. Great shots of Repulse Bay, which is supposed to have some of the best beaches in Hong Kong and twisty windy roads around alternating over- and under-developed areas.

With my batteries dead, I chose to kind of zen out and walk slowly up the 268 steps to reach this statue that weighs as much as a jumbo jet. The outside wreaked of human shit, so it was hard to appreciate the impressive scale of the Big Buddha - an interesting paradox: while staring at a glorified achievement of mankind built to worship someone who overcame the nature of mankind and ascended into enlightenment, you are unable to forget your own humanity due to the stench of mankind's filth surrounding you - constantly reminding you just how dirty we mere unenlightened mortals can be.

Chris took some pics - if I get digital copies I'll try to post them... for now here are some ones I found on the 'net that'll give you an idea of THE BIG BUDDHA...

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I never saw the Port-A-Pottys... but I'm thinking they were around somewhere - since I didn't see a bathroom either. And perhaps since it's wayyy up a hill, no one bothers to clean it. Yum. I guess when ya gotta go, not even Buddha or enlightenment can help ya keep it in.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home